International Students

Welcome to Université Côte d'Azur


Formalities: accommodation reservation and arrangements for the keys

In France, the process of reserving and entering your home includes many formalities that apply to both the public and private sectors.

deposit will be required at the time of booking (by the student residences) or at the time of signing the lease (by the landlord). This deposit will protect the landlord and allow for the repair of potential damage if the tenant does not return the place to the same condition as it was at the beginning of the contract.

The deposit cannot exceed one month's rent without charges and must be returned by the landlord within two months of the departure of the tenant and the delivery of the keys (if no degradation has been noticed).

In addition to the security deposit, all student residences and the majority of landlords require a guarantor to ensure the payment of rent if the tenant does not honor the payment obligations. The guarantor is a person who agrees to pay any rent that you might not have paid. He or she signs 3rd-party guarantee (acte de caution solidaire).

Without a guarantor, the student’s application may not be prioritized.

Good to know: there is a VISALE student rental guarantee set up by the State that guarantees to facilitate access to the student's housing if he or she does not have a guarantor. You will find detailed information on the website :

Finally, be aware that the landlord (or residence) may refuse to give you the keys if you do not submit a certificate of home insurance. This insurance is mandatory in France to cover serious damage to the building, in case of fire, explosion or water damage, etc.

This insurance can be taken out either directly from an insurance agency in Nice or online before your arrival. Many insurance companies now offer the possibility of subscribing home insurance on the internet. Do not hesitate to compare the competition. 

Support for finding a home

• ESN Nice has a Facebook group for the research and supply of student accommodation: Students Accommodation in Nice by ESN Nice: Students Accommodation in Nice by ESN Nice.

• Lokaviz is an Internet portal offering all types of accommodation for students. It allows to connect students and private owners, and offers throughout the year rooms still available in the university residences of CROUS. You can explore the base of ads according to the criteria you prefer (city, number of rooms, furnished or not, maximum rent, availability, etc.).


Where to stay

The Université Côte d'Azur, like all French universities, does not have its own student residences.

However, there are different options for housing in the Alpes-Maritimes area.

Download the hosting solutions guide for Université Côte d'Azur students

CROUS Details

Web site 


Centre de numérisation du Crous de Nice-Toulon
TSA 24010
59901 Lille cedex 9

Financial aid for housing

The French State offers housing assistance funding for all individuals domiciled in France. The assistance is provided by the Caisse d'Allocations Familiales (CAF) and varies according to the financial situation of the applicant, his or her housing situation and family composition.

If you wish to benefit from this help, it is important to make the request upon arrival in the accommodation because if the aid is awarded, it is paid only from the month following the validation. It can be paid either on the tenant's French bank account or directly to the landlord who then deducts the amount of this assistance from the rent. 

Different aids exist and are allocated depending on the situation of the applicant, and they are not cumulative. CAF also provides a calculator to assess the amount of aid that can be allocated to an applicant

Warningonly the VLS - TS visa validated by the OFII, as well as the residence permit (carte de séjour) are eligible for financial assistance from the CAF.

Personalized Housing Assistance 

"Aide Personnalisée au Logement" (APL) is granted to people with APL registered housing: that is to say that the landlord has completed an agreement with the French State to respect a defined level of rent, among other things. In return, the landlord benefits from financial advantages. The tenant must ask his or her landlord if the housing is APL approved. The dwelling must be the principal residence of the applicant, regardless of whether or not it is a furnished apartment, or if the landlord is a university, private residence or even a hotel.

To apply for APL, it is possible to go directly to a CAF agency or to follow the online steps on the website

Social Housing Allocation Logement Social (ALS)

The ALS allowance (Allocation Logement Social) is intended for people who are not eligible for the APL. The amount allocated (generally lower than the APL) is calculated based on the financial and family situation, and location of the housing.

To apply for the ALS, it is possible to go directly to a CAF agency or to follow the online steps on the website

Home Insurance

On arrival in France, if the student rents the same accommodation for more than one month, he has to take out a home insurance. This subscription is mandatory and covers the risks and damages related to student housing (eg fire, theft, water damage ....) for a maximum of one year. The contract must be renewed each year. If the student moves, the contract evolves because the characteristics taken into account in the evaluation of the pricing are no longer the same. It is therefore important to warn the insurance company during the move to ensure the protection of the new place of residence.

The home insurance generally offers the assumption of liability insurance. This insurance is obligatory and makes it possible to compensate an individual if the student unintentionally causes him damage or deteriorates one of his property. If this insurance is not included in the student's home insurance policy, it can be purchased separately from any insurance company