arrow drop search cross

Bank account

For stays in France of over three months, opening a bank account can be useful in order to simplify your transactions.

In general, you will need to be settled in France before opening a bank account in France. Feel free to consult us in choosing a local bank.

Usually it is more practical to choose the branch closest to one’s domicile or work. When the scientist has made the choice, he/she must contact the bank to obtain the list of required documents which are normally: the passport, visitor card (if the scientist needs one), proof of residence not older than three months (water, electricity, Internet bill...). Other documents can be required, but the scientist will be alerted by the bank agent before the meeting.

Once the French bank account is open, the scientist can obtain a debit bank card, a checkbook (if requested) and a RIB (bank coordinates for incoming or outgoing wires). It is generally easier to pay electric bills, etc. with one’s RIB number as opposed to writing endless checks.

Before leaving (ideally 15 days before), if the scientist does not intend to make further trips in France, it is best to close the bank account. At this time do not forget to also close all accounts with payees such as electricity, water, Internet providers, etc.


Who to contact in case a bank card is lost or stolen ?

Carte Bleue  or Visa : 08 00 90 11 79 (free call)
 Eurocard or Mastercard : 08 00 90 13 87 (free call)
 American Express card: 01 47 77 70 00 (free call)