arrow drop search cross

Driver's licence

If  the scientist has a license issued by a country within the European Economic Zone (EEE)

No procedures are necessary. The scientist can drive legally. However, for long stays, it is preferable to register one’s license with the Alpes Maritimes Préfecture in order to obtain a duplicate in case of a problem (loss, theft...).

Also, in case of a violation of the French driving code, a license exchange for a French driver’s license will be requested in order to apply sanctions. This is done at the Préfecture.


If the scientist has a license issued by a country outside of the European Economic Zone (EEE)

Except those with a student Visa, any scientist staying for research for more than 3 months must exchange his/her license for a French license. This must be done during the first year in France at the Préfecture (more information here). If this is not done during the first year, the scientist will not be able to drive in France with his/her license and will have to obtain the French driver’s license.

To request a license exchange

Contact for the  Préfecture des Alpes Maritimes

CADAM – Préfecture des Alpes Maritimes
147 Bd du Mercantour
06200 Nice

Telephone : 04 93 72 20 00

Served by line 10




Do not forget to insure your vehicle!
In case of an accident, it is important that your vehicle be insured for coverage of damages caused by your vehicle and/or that of others.
To better understand automobile insurance in France